BusinessRegions

Sudan’s first cabinet sworn in after Bashir’s ouster

AFP/…Sudan’s first cabinet since the ouster of President Omar al-Bashir was sworn in Sunday as the African country transitions to a civilian rule following nationwide protests that overthrew the autocrat.

The 18-member cabinet led by Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, which includes four women, took oath at the presidential palace in Khartoum, an AFP correspondent reported.

It is expected to steer the daily affairs of the country during a transition period of 39 months.

The line-up was formed after Sudan last month swore in a “sovereign council” — a joint civilian-military ruling body that aims to oversee the transition.

The 18 ministers were seen greeting members of the sovereign council, including its chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, in images broadcast by state television from the palace.

“We have to put in a lot of efforts to meet our people’s demands,” Information Minister Faisal Mohamed Saleh told reporters after the swearing-in ceremony.

“The world is watching us. It is waiting to see how we can solve our issues.”

The swearing-in comes two days after Sudan’s suspension from African Union bloc was lifted by the AU Security Counsel, she was suspended from the Union three months ago.

The stop to a suspension indicated an end to a three-moth freeze that saw AU ban Sudan from the bloc pending the installation and recognition of a civilian-led government.

“AU Peace and Security Council #PSC today at its 875th Meeting decides to lift the suspension of the participation of #Sudan in the activities of the #AU, now that #Sudan established a civilian-led Government; Commits to support its reconstruction & until mobilization efforts,” Said AU’s Peace and Security Department twitter.

The decision was welcomed by the Foreign Ministry of Sudan and assured commitment to the bloc by observing its goals and objectives.

“(We) use this great occasion to reaffirm our commitment to the goals and objectives of the African Union.” Reads a statement in part.

On June 7, The Peace and Security Council of the AU suspended Sudan from all the organization’s activities until the effective establishment of a civilian-led Transitional Authority was established.

AU had also threatened to impose punitive measures on individuals and entities obstructing the establishment of a civilian-led transitional authority.

Lawrence Baraza

Lawrence Baraza is a dynamic journalist currently overseeing content at Metropol TV Digital. With a keen focus on business news and analytics, Lawrence guides the platform in delivering insightful, data-driven content that empowers its audience to make informed decisions. Lawrence’s commitment to quality and his ability to anticipate market trends make him a key figure in the digital media landscape. His work continues to shape the way business news is consumed, making a significant impact in the field.

Related Articles

Back to top button