Tuesday, Aug 3, 2021
HomeBusinessEconomyKenya Power signs Ksh.225 million digitisation deal with NYS

Kenya Power signs Ksh.225 million digitisation deal with NYS

Kenyans to pay higher for electricity bill

Kenya Power Lightning and Company (KPLC) has signed a Ksh.225 million deal with the National Youth Service (NYS) to fast track the Facilities Database (FDB) clean up exercise to facilitate digitisation of the network.

Part of the deal is that there will also be a provision of framework for the grid automation project.

The exercise, which will take place across the country, kicks off on July 19, 2021 and has been funded by the World Bank at a tune of Ksh.225 shillings.

“the countrywide exercise, which has been funded by the World Bank under the Kenya Electricity management Programme  (KEMP) at a cost of Ksh.225 million will be covered by 770 NYS officers, 700 servicewomen and women and 70 supervisors,” said KPLC in a statement.

The network covered comprise 83 transmission substations, 295 primary substations, 73,486 secondary substations (transformers) and 77,990 kilometres of high and medium voltage lines.

Kenya Power has so far digitized 70 percent of its network in the country and the partnership is meant for the power provider to actualise the remaining 30 percent.

NYS will take up digitisation of 116,623.84 kilometres  of low voltage lines and over 8.2 million customer metres.

“Updating the company’s data on the Facilities Database Digital platform will provide us with an accurate inventory of all our physical assets in order to enhance our technical and operational efficiency,” said KPLC Managing Director and CEO Benard Ngugi.

 The data clean up project will enable the business to conduct accurate energy measurement, which will in turn aid the business in identifying and fixing revenue leakages.

FOLLOW US ON:
Most businesses reli
IMF member countries

Lawrence Baraza is a prolific writer with competencies in Digital Media, Print, and Broadcast. Baraza is also a Communication Practitioner currently spearheading Digital content on Metropol TV's Digital Desk.

Rate This Article: