There will be second round of Huduma Numba registration, says PS Kibicho
Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho says there will be a second round of Huduma Namba mass registration.
The registration will be for Kenyans who missed out in the first phase of mass registration even as questions linger on when the cards will be issued for the first batch.
During a session with the parliamentary Committee on Wednesday, PS Kibicho said the cards will be issued before end of the year.
“Everybody will have an opportunity through either the mass registration session two, or themselves walking to the registrar of persons in future if they also miss out because this will be continuous process to eternity,” he said.
“All the data of those who took part in Huduma Namba has been merged and cleaned up, we have created a state of the art data center…we had to create both the redundancies and a data center that we would be sure keeps this data safe.”
The project cost taxpayers Ksh18 billion with Kenyans questioning the government on what it intends to do with the data collected.
In November last year, the Interior Ministry was in need of Ksh1 billion to print out Huduma Namba, despite having spent billions to digitize the process.
The request was after President Uhuru Kenyatta signed into law the Data Protection Act, which set a stage for Huduma Namba.
Huduma Namba, also known as the National Integrated Identity Management System is a unique and permanent personal identification number assigned to every resident individual to ensure such individual is distinctly identifiable.
According to the Huduma Bill, 2019, the unique number is to be assigned to every resident or individual at birth or upon enrollment.
PS Kibicho said the Huduma Namba program is currently at an adjudication process which is aimed at ensuring captured fingerprints match the ones in the real database.
The cards will have all the data merged and installed in an electronic chip and Kenyans will no longer need documents like Identity Cards. (ID)