WHO suspends trial of Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 treatment
The World Health Organization (WHO) has temporarily halted its clinical trials on the use of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
This is after the agency’s Director General Tedros Adhanom Gebreyesus said they are concerned over the published views that the drug may do more harm than good and that they will entirely rely on the data collected to potentially validate the treatment.
“The review will consider data collected so far in the Solidarity Trial and in particular robust, randomized available data to adequately evaluate the potential benefits and harms from this drug hydroxycholoroquine,” said Ghebreyesus.
The world health agency has over 3,300 patients from 17 different countries across the world enrolled in what the organization has termed as the Solidarity Trial.
It is an effort geared towards finding the cure for coronavirus, which has infected more than 5.5 million people around the world.
The patients in the trial have been randomly assigned to be treated with hydroxychloroquine which is a common malaria drug, or 3 other experimental drugs for treating COVID-19 in various combinations. Only the hydroxychloroquine part of the trial is being put on hold.
And as the virus continues to cause panic globally, Kenya is also grappling with the infections which saw the country record an additional 22 cases of coronavirus on May 25, 2020, bringing the total to 1,214.
Health CAS Rashid Aman said the positive cases were from 1,108 samples tested within the period of 24 hours. Cumulative tests so far stand at 59,260.