Why coronavirus in Kenya is increasing by day despite measures to curb spread
As of May 6, 2020 coronavirus in Kenya increased in a row, two figures up from the previous day recording 47 new cases.
In a press briefing on Wednesday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said two more patients had succumbed to the disease raising the total number of fatalities in the country to 26. The two patients passed away at their homes in Mombasa.
The confirmed 47 new cases were of mixed nationalities, out of whom 32 are from Mombasa, 11 from Nairobi, two from Busia and one each in Kiambu and Kwale.
Majority of the cases in Mombasa and Nairobi were recorded in Old Town and Eastleigh areas.
How an Iman left the virus in Eastleigh
An imam who had undergone coronavirus test in Eastleigh moved from door to door in the area with a motive of praying for people, despite being aware of his status.
He died of the virus o April 16 and was buried on the very day leaving behind a trail of individuals whom he infected and are now passing it on to unsuspected people.
“This was a reckless and irresponsible act by the imam,” Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said.
This has branded the area, including the Old Town in Mombasa County as coronavirus dark spot which so far has been recording the highest number of infected people in the country.
In Old Town Mombasa, Kenyans have become hostile to volunteering health officials despite the area County Governor Ali Hassan Joho urging them to come out and undergo a test.
And as the world observes the Holy Month of Ramadhan under a strange circumstance, a group of faithful in the area have been noted to under normal routine of life as far as conducting prayers.
Many of them have rigidly slammed the governor over his urge to undergo mandatory testing.
To prevent further spread of the virus, the government has moved in with speed and locked down Eastleigh and Old Town areas.
The partial lockdown was effective the day of announcement – Wednesday May 6 from 7:00 PM and will be implemented for the next 15 days.
CS Kagwe said there will be no movement in and out of the two regions for the next 15 days, but residents will be allowed to move within the area under the subject of underlying curfew.
“You cannot leave the area to go to another area. This will take place for 15 days,” he said.
The Health CS said public transportation will also not be allowed to go to those areas.