How to start an e-commerce business
E-commerce has experienced unprecedented growth following the invention of the internet. The creation of new business models such as online companies whereby the company conducts most of its business on the internet.
Loise Kamanu left all and decided to start an e-commerce entity, Modest Collection. Four years on, she is thriving in the crowded online shopping market. What would instigate one into the online market?
1. Tell us a little about yourself and your background.
My name is Loise Kamnu CEO Modest Collection. A courier and delivery service in Kenya.
2. What intrigued you to venture into e-commerce and how did the idea come about?
Joined e-commerce after realizing the vast opportunities available in the online market.
3. What was your experience starting out? Was it an easy process?
Starting up was very difficult especially in terms of getting capital.
4. How did you do your branding and marketing?
Marketing is the main investment in the online venture. So we invested/invest in our pages on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter etc.
5. How many clients have subscribed to Modest Collection?
The clientele base has grown over time and we still work harder to get more clients.
6. How are you creating value for your clients?
Clients are guaranteed professional services, genuine and transparent services.
7. What is the biggest challenge for you as an entrepreneur?
The future is online, hence, investors are urged to join in hands with SMEs to see the growth of Apps as well as other online platforms that bring convenience and value.
8. What is the unique thing Kenyans do not know about online shopping?
Online shopping offers convenience o=and saves one time if only the seller and the buyer are in genuine trade.
9. 2020 marks the beginning of a new decade: where do you think e-commerce is headed in Kenya in the next five years?
In five years we expect growth of e-commerce as more people embrace the field.
10. Tell us something about you that anyone would want to read, feel inspired and perhaps make a decision if at all e-commerce was the way to go.
A journey to success is not a one-day thing. You must keep pushing because that resilience and consistency is what will give genuine results.
11. Any advice to start-ups?
Starting is never easy. Believe in your dreams and keep pushing.